Skip to main content

Six steps to complete your financial aid.

What is Financial Aid? – Sources of Aid

At Spokane Falls Community College (SFCC), we use the term "financial aid" for all types of funding beyond what you can pay for yourself. Money can come from loans, grants, scholarships or paid employment programs like work study. Let’s first explore the different sources of aid in more detail.

Your Aid Package

The first step is to complete your FAFSA. After SFCC receives your FAFSA information, we mail you or email you information on the types of aid you're eligble to receive and apply for. We refer to that collection of aid as your financial aid package. Your aid package can consist of many different sources of aid. Let's explore the different types of aid.

FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid

While the FAFSA itself is not a source of aid, it's the first step in the process of determining your aid package. Your application provides SFCC with the details needed to automatically apply any grant money you receive and help you calculate your need for loans and other scholarships. Take a look at our FAFSA Guide for information on preparing and submitting the FAFSA.

Outside Funding 

This refers to funding from an external organization such as:

  • Active duty armed services


  • Labor and Industries

  • Private corporations

  • Services for the blind


  • TRB

  • Tribal funding

  • Veteran disability

  • Vocational rehabilitation

It is the responsibility of your agency's representative to send us your paperwork in a timely manner. It is your responsibility to verify we have received it.

This funding may impact your financial aid. Keep us updated if there are any changes.


  • Attending school WILL affect your unemployment claim. You may be denied benefits if your training plan is not approved.

Woman with stethoscope helping patient
Start Next Quarter

Find out if you are eligible for a number of different grants and funds in one simple survey. Select Community Colleges of Spokane as your college, and sign up to attend a free workshop at the end. 

Federal Grants

SFCC participates in the federal Pell Grant and Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant programs. Resident and nonresident students may qualify for federal grants.

Pell Grant

A Pell Grant is a federally funded entitlement grant program that awards aid to students based on financial need. To apply for a Pell Grant, students need to submit the FAFSA every year they are in school. The grant will be awarded based on your financial need specific in the FAFSA application.

For more information on the Pell Grants, visit the Federal Pell Grant page

Year Round Pell Grants

Pell Grants for Spring Quarter

In spring, Pell Grant eligible students can receive up to 150% of their scheduled Pell award each year. What does this mean for you? If you were a Pell eligible student in summer, fall, and/or winter, you may qualify for a Pell Grant for spring!


To be eligible for a spring Pell Grant, you must:

  • Be Pell Grant eligible
  • In most cases, there is a requirement to enroll at least half-time (6+ credits)
  • Meet or maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
  • Have lifetime Pell Grant eligibility remaining

Important facts to note:

  • Eligible students may receive up to four Pell awards in one academic year.
  • The maximum time-frame that students may receive Federal Pell Grant is the equivalent of eighteen full-time quarters. One full-time quarter of Pell equals 33%.

Check your Lifetime Eligibility

You can check for your remaining eligibility level online by logging on to NSLDS using your FSA ID. View your Lifetime Eligibility Units (LEU) on the Financial Aid Review page.

Minimum Credits for Spring Pell Grant

  • If you enrolled full-time (12+ credits) and received the full-time Pell Grant amount for summer, fall, and winter, you must enroll at least half-time (6+ credits) in spring classes to receive a spring Pell Grant.
  • If you enrolled part-time summer, fall, or winter, there is no minimum credit requirement to receive a spring Pell Grant (unless required by your EFC). You can use the remainder of your annual Pell Grant amount during spring with no minimum credit requirement.

Dropping, Withdrawing or Failing Classes

It is possible that you could owe money back for all or part of your Federal Pell Grant if you do not complete classes that you registered for in the spring quarter. The amount you may owe will be calculated based on the drop date, the number of credits and the last day that you attended classes.

Pell Grant Amount Depends on Enrollment

Your spring Pell Grant amount will depend on the number of credits you are registered in, as well as your Pell Lifetime Eligibility Units (LEU). The Pell Grant amount will be adjusted just prior to the release (disbursement) of your aid based on your enrollment level. Enrollment levels are defined in the following manner:

  • 12+ credits = 100% of the quarter Pell Grant amount
  • 9-11 credits = 75% of the quarter Pell Grant amount
  • 6-8 credits = 50% of the quarter Pell Grant amount

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

For students with greater financial needs, the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant can be awarded in the amounts from $900 to $4,000 per academic year. This grant is awarded based on your financial needs stated in the FAFSA.

For more information on the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant visit the Federal Government's FSEOG page.


State Grants

Washington College Grant

(Formerly the State Need Grant) Washington state residents are eligible for further assistance based on their financial need. Eligible students may receive an award up to the cost of tuition. Amounts vary based on income, family size, and the school or program attended. Federal overpayments and defaults do not impact state aid eligibility.

To learn more about WCG eligibility and awards go to the Washington Student Achievement Council website.

College Bound Scholarship

Awarded in combination with other state financial aid to cover the average cost of tuition and fees. The scholarship is available to students who sign up in the 7th or 8th grade and meet specific eligibility requirements. For College Bound Scholarship eligibility information, please visit the College Bound page on the consumer information site,

Passport to Careers

The Passport to Careers program provides a funding resource for Washington state, federal, or tribal foster students or for students who have experienced unaccompanied homelessness in the last school year. For more information on the program or eligibility requirements, visit the site.

SFCC Institutional Grants & Waivers

A portion of SFCC tuition revenue is reserved for institutional grants and waivers.

SFCC 3% Tuition Grant 

A supplemental grant based on need. Currently the eligibility range is from $900 to $4,000 per academic year.

SFCC 3 1/2% Tuition Waiver

A supplemental waiver that reduces your amount of tuition costs. Currently the eligibility range is $900 to $2,100.

Student Loans

For detailed loan federal information visit

*Before submitting a loan application, you must complete your FAFSA and have all other required paperwork turned into the Financial Aid Office.

Student Loans

There are multiple types of direct loans for students. Take a look at the different loan options and how to get started with a student Federal Direct Loan.

Parent Loans

Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS Loans) are made to both the students and parents of a dependent undergraduate student to help pay for expenses not covered by other financial aid. Learn more about the PLUS program and get the information you need to apply now.

Exit Counseling

If you have used a Federal Direct Loan to help finance your education at Spokane Falls Community College, the Federal financial aid regulations require us to provide you with exit counseling information about your loan. Take a look at the steps to complete your exit counseling.

How Much Should I Borrow?

To figure out the proper amount to borrow, you will need to calculate your financial need, understand the limits of what you can borrow and create a budget so you can predict what your monthly payment will be towards your loan. Take a look at our budgeting page to get started now.

Check Loan Status

You can check your loan status in your student account in ctcLink. Login to your student account by clicking the button below. If this is your first time accessing your account, you will need your ctcLink ID that is issued to you after your application is received. Make sure to save your ID number as you will use it for many things at SFCC.


Scholarship Resources

Scholarships are funds you do not repay. The money comes from local high schools, employers, and other private donors. Students can apply for as many scholarships as they qualify for.

SFCC has many scholarship opportunities specifically designated for SFCC students.

Most application deadlines are in late winter or early spring for the upcoming fall quarter.

Other Scholarship Links
WA College Success Foundation
WA State Opportunity

Specially Funded Programs

SFCC participates in a few special programs such as WorkFirst and Opportunity Grant meant to increase access to higher education for certain marginalized groups.

Veterans Benefits

Are you a veteran? Are you looking for information or assistance with the GI Bill®? The SFCC Veterans Services Office at SFCC can help.


Waivers are available to certain groups of qualified people, allowing them to be exempt for some or all tuition. Take a look at the different kinds of waivers offered, like waivers for senior citizens to audit courses, Washington State employees, direct relatives of deceased or 100 percent disabled law enforcement or fire officers, and others.

Student Employment

What is Work Study?

The Student Employment Office administers the SFCC on-campus and off-campus work programs through Work Study awards. Student employment is meant to be a productive experience for everyone involved: the student, the employer, and the institution as well as the community.

How do I get Work Study?

On your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), be sure to say yes on the option asking if you're interested in work study. Work study is awarded based on your FAFSA results, your financial aid budget, other awarded aid and the SFCC financial aid packaging policy. If you are awarded work study, you will receive an award notification from the Financial Aid Office and an informational email from the Student Employment Office. If you did not receive a work study award and would like to be placed on the waitlist, please read the information below.

Work Study Waitlist

If you were not awarded work study as part of your aid package and would like to be placed on the Work Study Please sign up for the Work Study Waitlist. If you need help or have any questions, contact the Student Employment office at

Work Study Funds

Your work study paychecks will come as a regular paycheck. These funds cannot be used to pay tuition or fees directly. They must first be deposited into an account, then you can use your funds to pay in your student ctcLink account or at the Cashier’s Office.