Skip to main content

The United States welcomes international students to come here and study in our colleges and universities. It is important to make sure you complete all the required paperwork so that you have everything you need. If you have questions, please ask us and we will help you.

Applying for a Visa

You must have a student visa to study in the United States. You should apply for your student visa as soon as possible so that you have everything ready on time. For more information about getting your student visa, please visit Education USA. Learn how to prepare and apply for your U.S. student visa at Study in the States. 

Important Documents

Before you leave your home country, take time to double-check that you have gathered all the documents listed below for your travel to the United States.

Everyone arriving in the United States passes through an inspection by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers. To learn more about required U.S. entry documents, especially if you are on an F‐1 or M‐1 visa, please visit the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Study in the States website.

Certificate of Eligibility

Confirm you have the I-20 or DS-2019 issued by the school or program you will be attending. Also, check that this document has been signed by the Designated School Official (DSO), that your name is spelled the same as it is in your passport, and that your birthdate is correct.

Passport and Nonimmigrant Visa

Ensure that your passport is current before travel. Note that citizens of some countries are required to have at least six months validity remaining on their passport before their entry into the United States. Hand-carry your passport and certificate of eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) with you at all times during your travel.

Contact Information

Have the name and phone number of your international student adviser on campus, in case you need to call him/her upon arrival in the United States. Have phone numbers and a calling card to contact family or friends at home if you become stuck in transit and need to let them know you are ok. When arriving in the United States, calling cards can be purchased at most convenient stores and are recommended for new students who may not have a mobile phone or other means of communication for the first few days.

Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate

Be sure to obtain notarized translations of these certificates if they are not in English if you are traveling with a dependent spouse or child. Note that your spouse and child must also have their own student or exchange visa and certificate of eligibility.

Do You Have Questions?

Let us help you! You can email us at, or start a live chat with us by clicking the contact us button on the right side of the page.