Skip Navigation LinksSFCC Home Page Student Resources Support Services Disability Support Services

Disability Support Services

Disability parking on the SFCC campus is for any student, faculty or staff with a documented permanent or temporary disability which results in the need for more accessible parking.

State-regulated Disabled Spaces

Parking in spaces with the blue "Reserved-State Disabled Permit Required" symbol requires a current CCS permit as well as a disabled placard, or license plates, issued from the any state's Department of Motor Vehicles. Illegal parking in these spaces can result in a $250 fine from the Office of Campus Safety, and/or a $450 fine from the City of Spokane Parking Enforcement. Parking at meters requires payment, possessing a current disability placard does not negate payment at campus parking meters.

Disabled Symbol

Why DSS needs documentation of disability:

Documentation gives DSS staff the information needed to fully evaluate requests for academic adjustments and auxiliary aids, in addition to student self-report and allows us to understand the impact of your disability as it relates to accommodation requests. It is the student's responsibility to obtain documentation and provide it to DSS.

To be eligible for services, students must have a disability (as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 as Amended) and provide documentation of the disability and need for accommodation. Eligible students must also meet the academic and technical standards required for admission to college programs or activities.

Documentation is:

Documentation consists of diagnostic information from a licensed clinical professional familiar with the history and functional implications of your disability. This information must be submitted on the official letterhead of the professional or institution (such as a doctor, psychologist, school, or other agency) describing the disability.

Documentation of a disability should include the following:

  • Identification of the nature and extent of the disability and date(s) of diagnosis.
  • Information which reflects the impact of the disability. The functional impact on physical, perceptual, cognitive, and behavioral abilities should be described explicitly or through specific results from diagnostic procedures.
  • Medications and side effects, or description of treatments, assistive devices, etc. in use and their effect.
  • Documentation is usually provided by a physician, nurse practitioner, psychologist, learning disabilities specialist, rehabilitation or mental health counselor, or other qualified medical practitioner. The credentials and contact information of the clinician should be provided.
  • Documentation should be current. You may be asked to provide updated documentation when appropriate due to a change in the student's condition or disclosure of a new disability.

IEPs and 504 Plans/K-12 Transition:

An Individualized Education Plan or 504 plan may help identify services that have been effective for you and may indicate a history of services, but it is generally not sufficient documentation. If your high school completed a three year review or an evaluation in your junior or senior year, this information would be most useful. If you had an outside evaluation that was used to determine services, this may be useful, as well.

If you don't have documentation:

Please fill out the DSS Inquiry Form, return it and request to meet with DSS staff to discuss your needs. Every individual situation is unique; regardless of what medical documentation you may or may not have, please come by our office to have a discussion about how we may be able to support your academic goals.


Telephone: (509) 533-4166
VP: (509) 315-2310
Email: dss@sfcc.spokane.edu

What does "academic accommodations" mean?

Accommodations are those services individually determined as needed for an individual student to attain equal access to SFCC programs and services. Some examples of accommodations are: interpreter for the deaf, larger print materials, alternate testing, assistive or adaptive technology.

What academic accommodations does the school provide?

The determination of academic accommodations is based on your documentation of disability, your individual needs, and on the requirements of the courses in which you register. Academic accommodations may include volunteer note takers, sign language interpreters, alternate formatted materials, extended time for testing, scribes, use of screen-reading programs, or disability parking. Depending on the courses in which you are enrolled, these accommodations can vary from quarter to quarter.

How soon do I need to notify the Disability Support Services office that I need an academic accommodation?

It is important that you notify the DSS office of your needs as soon as possible, so there is adequate time to get the needed accommodations in place. This is particularly important if you have a visual, hearing or physical impairment that requires the ordering of special materials, the placement of assistive equipment, or the assistance of a sign language interpreter. Notification of 4 to 6 weeks is a desirable time frame.

Can courses be modified for my disability?

In providing academic accommodations, instructors are not required to lower or effect substantial modifications to the essential requirements of their courses. Students with disability are expected to fulfill the same course requirements and workload as any other student in the class.

Will you provide me with a tutor or assistant if I need one?

Services of a personal nature, such as personal attendants, tutors, readers, typists, or prescribed devices, are the responsibility of the student, and therefore are not provided by the college.

However, you can access Peer Tutoring, online tutoring, the Math Learning Center, and Mosaic for tutoring.

What if the provided academic accommodation is not working and I'm having problems in my classes?

Anytime you encounter difficulty in your classes, you are welcome to come into the DSS to review your accommodations. Sometimes it's a case of trial and error to see what works best for a student in a particular class. Study skill habits are sometimes the culprit and will be reviewed if problems point in that direction.

In 2008, the Washington State Legislature enacted Senate Bill 6313: Recognizing Disability History in the Public Education System.

In accordance with RCW 28B.10.918 each October, public schools, colleges, and universities must conduct and promote educational activities that provide instruction, awareness, and understanding of disability history and people with disabilities. The activities may include school assemblies or guest speakers.

In the past, SFCC has hosted a Disability Resource Fair and hosted various speakers and educational programming.

Publicity Archive