Experience Salamanca, Spain
Community Colleges of Spokane (CCS) offers summer study abroad experiences in Salamanca, Spain, a beautiful city that features narrow cobblestone streets, golden medieval buildings and soaring cathedrals.
Salamanca is often called “the golden city” (la ciudad dorada) because of the color of its buildings. It has one of the oldest universities in Europe, the University of Salamanca, with the nickname “Oxford of Spain.”
The city has about 170,000 residents and is northwest of Madrid on the border of Portugal. It has been designated a Unesco World Heritage Site because of its rich history, culture and architecture.
Find out more about visiting Salamanca through the Rick Steves and the Lonely Planet online travel guides.
- Two to three weeks in Salamanca with weekday classes in the morning and afternoons free to study or tour the city.
- On Saturdays and Sundays, students can take optional tours and excursions.
- No previous Spanish language experience required, but this is a great way to gain Spanish language knowledge and advance skills.
- All students live with a Spanish host with private rooms and meals provided.
- Students can earn up to 7 credits in Spanish.
- Spanish faculty from Spokane Community College (SCC) and Spokane Falls Community College (SFCC) accompany students on this trip.
Participants will register for two to seven credits of the classes available:
- Elementary Spanish 1, 2, 3 (121, 122, 123)
- Intermediate Spanish 4, 5, 6 (221, 222, 223)
- Spanish Conversation and Culture (241 or 242)
Participants are placed with carefully selected Spanish host in a private room, with three meals per day and weekly laundry service provided. Living with a local gives participants the opportunity to cultivate friendships with native speakers of Spanish and practice Spanish in a very real way.
Please check our website for updates or contact Global Education for more details!
Dates, Credits and Program Fee
Dates for the next Spain study abroad program have not yet been determined. All study abroad programs have been postponed until at least Summer 2022.
- Three Week Program: TBD / Credits: 2 – 7 / Cost: TBD
- Two Week Program: TBD / Credits: 2 / Cost: TBD
Program Costs Include
- Classes and textbooks
- Lodging with a Spanish host in a private room
- Three meals per day
- Laundry service once per week
- Medical insurance in Spain for the month of August
- Weekly cultural activities
- On-site advising services for the duration of the program by SCC/SFCC Spanish instructor
- Bus ticket from Madrid Airport to Salamanca
Program Costs Do Not Include
- SCC/SFCC tuition
- Airfare and passport fees
- Bus ticket from Salamanca to Madrid Airport
- Any other expenses not listed under program fee
Financial aid is applicable toward tuition, program fee and expenses. Please set up an appointment to see financial aid advisor. SCC: Zoya Zhuk, 509-533-8189 or Zoya.Zhuk@scc.spokane.edu. SFCC: Alexandra Bailey, 509-533-3402, Alexandra.Bailey@sfcc.spokane.edu.
Fill out the application form and submit with personal statement, unofficial transcripts and two letters of recommendation by May 15, 2020 at the latest.
Upon admission to the program, a nonrefundable deposit of $500 toward the program fee is required. The $500 counts toward the total cost of the program. Program fees must be paid in full no later than June 30, 2020. Students qualifying for financial aid need to make arrangements well in advance.