Experience Lyon, France
This study abroad experience provides complete French immersion for any level of French student from mid-June to mid-July each year.
In addition to French language instruction, thematic workshops specifically address the following:
- oral practice
- French in various media
- written French
- French literature and civilization
Study is conducted at the Université Lumiére in Lyon.
SFCC French instructor Elodie Goodman accompanies participants and provides onsite personal and program support and coordination. Along with complete immersion language studies in the morning, afternooon cultural activities and mini-excursions to Anney, Perouges and Avignon are also conducted.
- Three and a half weeks in Lyon, France
- No previous French language experience required, but this is a great way to gain French language knowledge and advance skills.
- Cultural & linguistic projects out in the community are included, as well as in-class learning time
- Students can earn up to 7 credits in French
- French faculty SFCC accompany students on this trip
Participants will register for two to seven credits of the classes available:
- Elementary French 1, 2, 3 (121, 122, 123)
- Intermediate French 4, 5, 6 (221, 222, 223)
- French Conversation & Culture (241 or 242)
Participants will stay in the CROUS residences run in conjunction with Universite Lumiere Lyon 2. They are a scenic 20-25 minute walk and include kitchen facilities. The University also provides bilingual program coordinators and an on-site nurse.
Each year the costs vary, so you will want to check with program faculty for the latest fees.
Dates, Credits & Program Fee for June 19 - July 13, 2018
- 7 Credits: Cost: $3,226.58
- 5 Credits: Cost: $3,016.70
- 2 Credits: Cost: $2,701.88
Program Costs Include
- Classes and textbooks
- Lodging at the CROUS residences
- Health & travel insurance in France
- Weekly cultural activities
- On-site advising services for the duration of the program by SFCC French Instructor
Program Costs Do Not Include
- SCC/SFCC tuition
- Airfare & passport fees
- On-site ground transportation
- Any other expenses not listed under program fee
*Participants may need to budget around $3,150 for the fees above.
Financial aid is applicable toward tuition, program fee and expenses. Please set up an appointment to see financial aid advisor Zoya Zhuk for further assistance at 509-533-8189 or Zoya.Zhuk@scc.spokane.edu.
Fill out the application form and submit with essay, unofficial transcripts, and two letters of recommendation by the second Friday in March. (After that date, participants will be admitted on a space-available basis).
Upon admission to the program, a non-refundable deposit of $500 toward the program fee is required. The $500 counts toward the total cost of the program. Balance due no later than the second Friday in May (Students qualifying for financial aid need to make arrangements well in advance.) Cancellations after this date will be refunded only on the basis of documented medical or other similar circumstances.
If you intend to arrive independently from the Community Colleges of Spokane, please fill out the Travel Waiver (Independent Arrival) form.
If you are attending a program abroad and intend to depart independently from Community Colleges of Spokane, please fill out the Travel Waiver (Independent Departure) form.